Saturday, January 14, 2006

Big Love Big Mess

HBO has a new miniseries. It's called Big Love and it's about a polygamous family living in Sandy Utah. It stars among others, Bill Paxton and Jeanne Tripplehorn. Bill Paxton is the 'husband' of three wives living in 3 houses side by side in Sandy Utah a suburb of Salt Lake City. The article that talks about this covers a lot of ground about polygamy not being part of the Mormon church and that is not what the series is about.
So what is it about? Sex for one. The rest is lost in Hollywood doublespeak.
So, why am I writing about this. Well, first of all I think it's ridiculous to make a television series about polygamy. Second, I'm disappointed in Bill Paxton for being a part of it. And, C, I don't get what could possibly be interesting about a polygamous family living in Sandy Utah. I have personally been around the 'real' poly families of Salt Lake County most of my life and I can tell you Bill Paxton and these three ladies don't in any way represent what I know and see around town as a polygamous family.
What's my point? My point is that I think Hollywood has lost all creativity. Or they are quickly losing it at any rate. They're making films about gay cowboys and now polygamous families. Why? Because it's interesting? It's entertaining? I personally don't think so. And, I really have to question anyone that does find these things interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home