Monday, June 26, 2006

R.I.P. Harry Potter

Harry Potter is TOAST.
In a recent interview, J.K. Rowling all but admitted that she is going to kill off Harry in the 7th and final Harry Potter book.
She talks candidly about "understanding" the temptation by an author to kill off the main character so that no one else can write books to continue her series. She says, "... so it will end with me, and after I’m dead and gone they won’t be able to bring back the character’.”
Unless she is basically lying, I read that as a fairly strong statement that Harry is going to die.
I say GOOD RIDDENS.
I enjoyed the first 3 or 4 books but the last two have been painful to read and full of inconsistencies. Evenso, I will read the 7th book. Even if it is just to bid Harry farewell.

2 Comments:

At 4:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not so fast, mister. I just watched the whole stinkin' interview and you are taking things out of context. That's not to say you're wrong, even though I REALLY hope you are. But you can't base your idea off of that interview...

your always hopeful other half.

 
At 6:18 PM , Blogger Okie said...

I agree that we may not know "exactly" who will die. Admitedly, it could be somewhat chilling to have Harry die at the end, but even that doesn't stop people from breaking into the series later.

After all, this IS a mystical world. Harry's nemesis has in fact cheated death a number of times. Beyond the "post-death" scenario, there's always the possibility of "in-between" opportunities for stories...exploring things that happened between books or even going to Hogwarts pre or post Harry.

I don't think that killing off Harry would either end the series or be an entirely good or bad thing for the genre. What I can imagine is that if Harry is one of those to die, that there will be scores of rabid fans sending Hate mail to Ms. Rowling.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home