Saturday, October 08, 2005

Greatest game

** SPOILERS **

I saw the film, "The Greatest Game Ever Played" this afternoon with my family. It was a fun family outting and was a great movie to take the family to.
I really enjoyed the film but I have to admit that I think Disney has lost a little of the magic that in the past would almost always guarantee a great film. This one had all the elements to it, the compelling story, the underdog, the romance etc. but it just didn't have all the heart I wanted it to.
It was formulaic. My meaning is that you've seen this film a hundred times before. Maybe not about golf, but surely about hockey, or baseball or football. You've seen the, 'father not supportive of his son who then goes out and proves Dad wrong and Dad magically shows up at the end to give his son the thumbs up' film before. This is another, but it doesn't even give you enough of that predictability between Father and son to make your heart throb and tears to form at the corners of your eyes.
I loved the music and I loved how well the filmmakers depicted turn of the century Boston/New England. It was truly stunning.
But at the end of the day I came a way a wee bit disappointed but still glad I saw this and glad that I shared it with my family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home