Saturday, October 01, 2005

Book review: Jesus the Christ


Jesus the Christ by James E. Talmage

I have been reading this book for a year now. I finally finished. It is not an easy read. The depth and gravity of the subject matter make it very difficult to read more than a chapter at any one sitting. I really enjoyed reading this book even though I don't normally like my reading any one book to span over more than a few weeks. This was an exception. I am even tempted to start reading it again from the beginning.
This book takes an in depth look at the life of the Savior, Jesus Christ. It is chronological ending with his crucifixion and information/prophecy about his second coming.
Talmage, the author, uses a great deal of reference to the excepted bible sholars of our time. He touches on many controversial subjects where the scholars disagree. He gives his own take on the issues and sometimes leaves them unsolved for a lack of modern scriptural evidence to resolve the issues.
The information in this book is staggering. I learned so much. I can safely say that I know more about my Savior and learned more about him from this book than I gleaned from 40 years of Sunday school and primary lessons every Sunday.
I must admit that it is highly likely that before my 40th year I couldn't have comprehended in any sort of depth what Talmage provides in this treatise on the Saviors life and teachings. I feel so much closer to the Savior and feel that I understand him and his mission so much better. I'm grateful that I finally took on the project of reading this book. Many people will tell you how difficult a read it is and that they never made it through the end.
If you are in a place in your life where you really deeply want to understand your Savior better then I highly recommend this book. If not, well, when you are in that place remember this book and block out a year of your reading to take it on. I promise you will not regret it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home