Wednesday, October 04, 2006

What, no Tigers?

We took the chance recently to take Shelby to see the circus. It's been since she was a baby that we last went and thinking back we don't think she was with us that time. I can't believe how excited I was to take my little girl to the circus. It was a great night.
Days later she is still calling it, "The Greatest Show on Earth."
They have a very cool thing now called a 'preshow'. You can go to the arena an hour early and they let you down on the show floor to mingle with the performers and the animals. Shelby's eyes lit up as they brought out an elephant and it walked within feet of where we were standing. I think it overwhelmed her because she started yelling at me to stop taking pictures.
Here are some pictures from our special night.







Watching an elephant paint a masterpiece. Wow. I was thinking the whole time, "how can I get a deal to sell these as prints on Inspiripics ?"









Watching the circus again but this time through Shelby's eyes was priceless. I can't even manage to get too upset that they didn't even have any tigers or lions in this version of the circus. It was definitely not the circus of my memories. It was very different. That however is overcome by knowing that my daughter will most likely treasure this memory forever. I am so glad Michelle and I took her and spent the evening focusing on her. Every child should get a chance to go to the circus.
I challenge each of you to find a charity in your local area that works to provide underprivileged kids tickets to the circus and donate enough to send a child. I am committing to do it. Let me know who you found to donate to.

1 Comments:

At 12:15 PM , Blogger Okie said...

We were hoping to get to the circus this year, but then the van's brakes went out and we missed it, but promised the kids we'd go next year.

My parents took my younger brother and sister. My parents gave basically the same sort of report you did...that the circus has changed a lot from what it was 10-20 years ago (which is about the time I last went). They talked about what it was missing and how they were feeling disappointed by it. But then, they said that my sister and brother (who had never been to the circus) were entranced and had a great time.

I hope that perhaps we'll see a return of some old-school circus acts in future performances...but really, it sounds like it's still a great show. It's just trying to figure out how to compete with all the other entertainment out there...and how to account for the new found passion for "Cirque du Soleil" (sp?).

Thanks for the pix. It looks like a lot of fun and I look forward to taking my kids next year.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home