Thursday, July 13, 2006

Nightmares & Dreamscapes

**SPOILERS**
Let me first say I am NOT a fan of horror stories. Films, books, TV shows, whatever. I avoid them religiously.
However, last night my curiosity (and the dearth of good summer TV) got the better of me. So, I tuned into the first episode of Nightmares & Dreamscapes. Yes, it's Stephen King. No, I've never read more than one short story from his work. I have only seen maybe one or two of his stories turned into films. The scary ones anyway. A couple of my favorite films are based on his work but they are not creepy or scary. I'm talking about "The Shawshank Redemption" and "The Green Mile".
Last nights episode entitled, "Battleground" was interesting. It's the type of thing I find daydreaming about at times. The old 'what if?' scenarios. What if my little green army men all came to life and tried to kill me. That was what William Hurt had to deal with in this episode. First of all there was absolutely no dialog. Not one word spoken. The entire 1 hour no commercial block had no dialog. Just a sound track. That is hard to pull off, but they did a pretty good job. The effects were stellar and they had to be for this effort to work. It would take far too long for me to explain the whole story but I'll leave you with my favorite part. The ending. William Hurt has killed off the last 'commando' only to discover he was carrying a 'toy size' thermonuclear device. Oops. The mushroom cloud exiting the elevator shaft of his apartment building was especially fun.
Anyway, if you missed it you really missed out. It was different and well done and fun.
Oh oh, one more favorite part. When William Hurt throws his plugged in hair dryer into the toilet to finish off the helicopter crew that he had thrown in. Yeah, that was sweet. Especially his face when the electric circuit in his apartment blew.

1 Comments:

At 3:50 PM , Blogger Okie said...

I have always been a fan of the "Twilight Zone"-esque shows that have come and gone. Some have been better than others and even the best had stinker episodes.

Sounds like I might have to go camp out at my parents Cable enabled couch sometime to check it out...or wait for it to go into syndication on mid-saturday afternoon like The Outer Limits.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home