Tuesday, July 13, 2004

A Tale of Two Evenings

Most people who know me know that movies are one of my favorite things. One of the things that I enjoy the most is how movies can transport me into a different reality. Even if it's just for a couple of hours, movies can take me away. Movies are powerful that way.
So, the last two evenings at home have provoked a dichotomy of feelings that two particular movies have invoked.
Sunday evening was, THE MAJESTIC. This is a great film. I think one of Jim Carrey's best performances. Martin Landau and Hal Holbrook play great parts as well. This film makes me feel like I am living in circa 1950's coastal California. It is so good at 'taking me away' that I wonder if I wasn't meant to be born at that time and that place. I love it. I love the story and I love the message. The music is sweet as well.
That was the good side of the dichotomy.
Last evening DW wanted to see one of those BBC (Boring British Catastrophes) movies. It was called AN IDEAL HUSBAND. Or, in other words HOW TO POKE YOUR EYES OUT WITH FLAMING SHARDS OF STEEL. Now I have a definitive answer as to why our country, the good ol US of A was founded. It wasn't people fleeing England for religious freedom. It wasn't even people fleeing England for freedom from tyranny. NO, our forefathers were fleeing this crap! If by some cosmic fluke I was transported back in time to mid 1800's England I would find the nearest sharp object and kill myself. Of course if I did that some putz would get Rupert Everett to play my character and make a movie about it.
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

2 Comments:

At 1:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! What are you talking about? There was intrigue, suspense, comedy, intelligent dialog, passion, love, lies, deception, and great costuming. What more can you ask from a movie? Just because nothing blew up. Sheesh.--michelle

 
At 11:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are a movie snob.
---RAQ---

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home